Frequently Asked Questions About Counselling Services
1. How long will I be in counselling or therapy for?
Working together we set out to discover what your needs are and the appropriate course of action. I have short-term clients who come to me for a specific issue, deal with that issue and return when the next issue arises. I also have clients who are in long-term therapy who are working on lifelong issues and want to live a fulfilling life. Each session we review how you’re coping with life and talk about what you want to achieve next and work out a way forward.
2. Do I need to have a mental illness to access your counselling services?
The short answer is no. We all go through difficult times and sometimes the people around you aren’t capable of helping in an objective way. Therapy or counselling can provide insights through me assisting you in learning new coping skills and getting clearer about your life direction.
3. Is there a health care rebate for counselling services?
Unfortunately not at this point. The government is currently reviewing rebates for psychotherapists and counsellors in the future. I specialise in grief, loss and bereavement and am highly trained in these areas. I am not a general counsellor, but a specialist counsellor who is passionate about my work and helping you get the result you want.
4. How long is a counselling session?
For individuals (child, adolescent or adult) the session is 60 minutes in length. For couples and families a session is 90 minutes in length.
5. What happens in a counselling session?
In the first session we discuss why you have sought counselling and discuss your issues to help me get a better idea of what you are struggling with. You will also get a good sense of how I work and how we can work together. By the end of the first session we decide together how to proceed and the frequency of the counselling sessions based on your needs and my feedback to you about your unique situation.
6. What if I want to cancel or rebook my counselling appointment?
If you need to cancel your appointment, I require 24 hours notice, otherwise the full fee of your appointment will apply.
To cancel or reschedule your appointment call my mobile on 0434 865 429. If I have availability and am able to reschedule your appointment during the same week, the cancellation fee will be waived.
These measures are necessary to protect the high level of service I give to my clients. By giving me at least a full working day, you allow me to offer the appointment time to another client who may be waiting for your slot. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.
7. Do you offer reduced rates or a sliding scale?
No. As a private practitioner I don’t receive funding from external funding bodies or medicare rebates. I do offer a 10% discount when you book and pay for 6 sessions in advance. The sessions need to be booked and used within the next three months.
8. How do I book and pay for a counselling appointment?
You can contact me on 0434 865 429 or go to my website or book online. My online appointment scheduler will show you available appointment times and current fees.
9. Is everything I say private in my counselling sessions?
Yes. I belong to associations which have codes of ethics to which I adhere.
10. Is my information confidential?
Yes it is. Any hard-copy of information is kept in a secure filing cabinet and any digital notes are password protected.
11. How much does a counselling session cost?
When you phone and talk to me, I will give you my current rates or you can book online.
12. How often should I attend?
That will depend on your issues and how deeply you want to work. For counselling most people attend weekly or fortnightly for 3-6 months and get the answers they needed. Others feel they need longer. Psychotherapy is for working deeper, which takes longer.
Research shows that long term therapy should begin on a weekly basis and takes longer than counselling. By attending weekly you will experience change sooner.
Here’s what to do next:
- If you’re ready to make an appointment or want to book a FREE 10-minute telephone consultation, please click the Schedule Appointment button below and I will contact you shortly.
- If you’re not ready to make an appointment, please call me on 0434 865 429 to discuss your needs.